Monday, December 11, 2006

Silly String In Iraq?

Marines working in Iraq had shown the Army combat engineer how Silly String can be used to detect trip wires. Before searching buildings, for example, personnel spray doorways from at least 10 ft. away with streams of foam--and see if they're snagged by barely visible wires, which are often affixed to bombs. The Army acknowledges the off-label use, and Marine spokesman Captain Jay Delarosa says, "We force Marine trainees to improvise."

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Silly String
Silly String

Silly String is a child's toy: a flexible, brightly-coloured plastic string, shot as a stream of liquid that sets quickly, through an aerosol can. One can "shoot" a seemingly-endless strand of the colourful stuff. Silly String is popular for usage during weddings, birthday parties, school carnivals and other festive occasions.

You have to admire the ingenuity, and in fact the real credit goes to the British SAS for the discovery of this unusual application of a 'child's toy'. However, as I think about this story and other news stories I have seen recently, I am reminded of just how much violence is a part of our world .

Ah but then my gaze turns inward, and I see the violence in my own soul. This day I must choose to seek healing for my own hurts, my own shame and my own violent reactions. Perhaps those who know me would never see the violence come to the surface, or perhaps they see more than I am aware and offer forgiveness without my knowing.

Nevertheless, today I begin again to seek help and hope from 'the maker of the mountains', the all-knowing, but all loving Father.

Today, holy and just God, rid this world of violence by beginning with me. Today, loving one, remind me again and again that you walk with me and bear what I cannot. Today, like St. Francis of Assisi, let me be a channel of your peace.

No comments: