Saturday, April 11, 2009

My '2x4' weekend is half done

Its a long weekend and Tues morning I'm off to a Leadership Development course for the week. Yvonne is away in Regina with two of her girlfriends, and I am at home, alone with tons to do before I leave. Lately, I've hit a whole new level in my 'multitasking' and my mind and spirit are weary. You might say, 'mega multitasking'. But then again, who would say something like that? In any case, you get my drift!

It has been another long winter but for me, the spring always brings with it inspiration! These days, I don't feel like I have the same level of fitness I did say, this time last year. So, let's put the multitasking on hold, and for four days I'm doing two cardio workouts per day. That's my '2x4' weekend!

So, its the evening of day two and I'm half way. Now what?


I had a good run in the morning. The sun was bright and warm, but the wind had a damp bite to it. Thanks to some good gear I have (not new but good), I was able to be comfortable temperature wise, but my legs got heavy from the middle point onward. The last small but long hill was a killer. As I use this running as training for my participation in the annual Ride for Refugee (http://www.rideforrefugees.com), I pulled memory images of refugees I've met over the years. I called to mind the fact that they can't quit the journey, so, I am not going to quit either!

[Rest]

In the early evening, I hit the trails on my off-road bike and even though it was still sunny, the North wind had power and bite. The idea was to ride easy, get a little lactic acid out of the muscles, but the wind and the soft trails made the ride more challenging than I expected. Sections of the trail were still soft from the spring thaw and I saw some snow, hiding in gullies away from the suns rays.

It was neat to observe the wildlife going about their spring chores too. A beaver was startled as I approached, several ground hogs scurried for cover and lots of birds sang me along the track. Taking it all in, the trail, the wildlife, the setting sun, is half the pleasure for me!

At the end of the day I have that sense of satisfaction that comes with pushing myself and seeing how I respond physically and mentally. Today, I did okay.

Tonight I'll do a little stretching, a lot of resting and see what tomorrow brings.

No comments: