Sunday, November 1, 2009

Frank's Five Dollars

Our local “Ride for Refugees” is a great event that empowers many churches to get off the sidelines and become involved, raising funds and increasing awareness for the plight of refugees. http://www.rideforrefugees.com/ At our sixth annual event recently, 1,000 people gathered at Creekside Community Church in Waterloo, Ontario.


Over the course of the day I had several conversations with one of these participants, an honorary team member I’ll call "Frank" who lives on a disability pension that leaves him with next to nothing to spare. At times I was busy talking, making introductions and solving little issues as they arose and, well, Frank was constantly there ... a little in the way, really.


After the riders returned from their time on-the-road, had great food and were on their way, Frank found me one more time and looked at me directly and I saw emotion in his face. He placed a rolled up five dollar bill in my hand and said, "Here, this is for the refugees."


I was thrilled with his “widow’s mite.” Within 10 minutes his donation was matched and doubled! I was no longer annoyed. Rather, I was convicted. Seeing “one of the least of these” helping refugees prompted me to repent and change my attitude. “God looks on the heart.”



No comments: