Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Breathe

Eugene Petersen, teaches that the simplest and most primitive form of prayer is 'breathing'.
" . . . the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being."
As an avid aerobic guy, you know, cycling and running, concentration on good, rhythmic breathing is important. For the past two weeks, while running or cycling, I have concentrated on breathing in deeply while saying the first part of the Jesus prayer. That is, "Lord, Jesus, Christ, Son of God", then exhaled, "have mercy on me a sinner".
The practice helps me keep my concentration, keep my heart beat down a few beats and remember who God is and who I am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Neil..I wonder what Mr. Petersen means by "primitive"? A couple of things to consider. 1. Matthew 6:7
But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. 2. Were we ever instructed to pray to the Lord Jesus? Luke 11:2 And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven...

I am not sure when this started. But, when did Christians start praying to the Lord Jesus? I cannot seem to find any example of this in scripture.