Sunday, June 21, 2009

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.


I miss my dad. Howard M. Ostrander (1929 -2005) was a man of peace. He was described by his co-workers and friends as someone who could "spread his warmth and humour to all those around him". His former boss called my dad, "A pillar in his community in Elmira, Ontario ... and someone with an endless number of jokes up his sleeve!" How true, that was my dad.

But at a deeper level, my dad was a man of peace. As he was spending his last week with us on planet earth, I was so impressed with how he could bless others as he was so ready to die. Not easy to say, but a great memory. A man who lived at peace with those around him, no one, not anyone from anywhere had to rush to his death bed to make amends. All who came to his hospital bed, came to have a final visit, to share a memory, a song or a verse of two from scripture.

If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18
Dad, thanks for the great example. I'll see if I can live my life in such a way that I honour memory and our lord.



No comments: