Friday, May 20, 2011

Where the Sidewalk Ends (Repost from Rwanda Mama)

One thing that I love / live for / look forward to... are garage sales in Kigali.
Never really went to a garage sale when I lived in Canada but here - you can't keep me away!
Most happen when embassy or NGO people leave after their 2 or 3 year contract is finished. Oh the treasures they can have... chocolate chips, books, brown sugar, molasses, DVD's, fajitia seasoning, etc. etc.

I went to one last Saturday between gettting the team settled into painting one of our houses for former street kids and getting them lunch. One of the treasures I found... 'Where the Sidewalk Ends'!

I SO remember getting this book of poems read to me in I don't know what primary grade and then signing it out of the library to read by myself at home. Needless to say I snagged it and when I arrived home to my kids, I promptly sat them down for a poetry reading.

Nothing like the things that bring my two worlds together.

I am writing these poems
From inside a lion,
And it's rather dark in here.
So please excuse the handwriting
Which may not be too clear.
But this afternoon by the lion's cage
I'm afraid I got too near.
And I'm writing these lines
From inside a lion,
And it's rather dark in here.
By Shel Silversteien

Next garage sale... tomorrow!!

No comments: