Saturday, December 2, 2006

Liberal leadership race over


I admit it -- I'm a bit of a political watcher. Today the Liberal Party of Canada choose Quebecer Stephane Dion as their new leader. I wish Mr. Dion and his family well as life just got a lot more stressful.

A reality of the democratic process is that to 'win' you much 'demonize' your opponents. While all the leadership hopefuls tried hard to steer clear of this age old tactic, it slipped out now and then. Even if your demonization is of a rival in another party -- once you stoop that low, should I not be wary that you will turn that venom on me some day? To my way of thinking, this is a sad reality of our political process. However, as a follower of Jesus, I read in Bible the following words ...
I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone — for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Saviour, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.
1 Timothy 2:1-4 (emphasis added)
So I get a vote every time there is an election. I can read the press, even contribute a few words to the political columns. But, my responsibility to pray for those who lead our country is still a daily requirement.

Why not join me right now and follow the real leader. Stop and pray for those who take the responsibility to govern our nation.

No comments: